By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Tolon RadioTolon RadioTolon Radio
  • HOME
  • NEWS
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • ENTERTAINMENT
  • LIFESTYLE
  • GLOBAL
  • OPINION
  • GALLERY
  • VIDEOS
  • KNOW OUR PRESENTERS
Reading: 16% of Accra’s drainage buffer zones lost to encroachment — GARID
Share
Tolon RadioTolon Radio
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Global
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinions
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech
Follow US
Tolon Radio > Blog > NEWS > 16% of Accra’s drainage buffer zones lost to encroachment — GARID
NEWS

16% of Accra’s drainage buffer zones lost to encroachment — GARID

By Tolon Radio July 4, 2026
Share
SHARE

Nearly one-sixth of the legally protected buffer zones along major drainage channels in parts of the Greater Accra Region has been overtaken by unauthorised developments, a new assessment by the Greater Accra Resilient and Integrated Development (GARID) Project has revealed.

The findings come in the wake of the recent devastating floods that displaced thousands of residents and claimed lives in the capital, reinforcing concerns over the impact of uncontrolled development on flood management.

The study, which examined developments within designated drainage corridors across 16 Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs), found that approximately 16 per cent of the mandatory 25-metre drainage buffer zones had been encroached upon.

Presenting the assessment on Friday, July 3, GARID Project Coordinator and member of the Post-Flood Mitigation Committee, Kojo Ohene Safo, explained that the exercise analysed changes in development between 2022 and 2026 using geospatial data and field assessments.

He said the review focused on the legally required 25-metre setback on both sides of major drains, a planning requirement intended to preserve waterways, facilitate maintenance works and reduce flood risks.

According to the assessment, the number of structures erected within protected drainage corridors continues to rise across many parts of the region despite existing planning regulations.

Mr Ohene Safo noted that while some localities recorded little or no additional encroachment, the broader trend points to increasing pressure on drainage infrastructure.

He cited Ablekuma Central as one of the few exceptions, where six structures identified within the protected buffer zone in 2022 remained unchanged during the latest assessment period.

However, he said most of the assemblies studied recorded significant increases in illegal developments.

Source:myjoyonline.com

You Might Also Like

GCB pledges unwavering support to Dagbon, donate cash and food items for Ya-Na Abukari II’s funeral

VALCO not for sale as gov’t moves to secure investor for revival

NPP Decides: All minority MPs support Kodua- Nalerigu MP claims

NDPC briefs Speaker Bagbin on Ghana’s Consolidated Dev’t Plan

Justin Kodua seeks Chief Imam’s blessing for re-election bid

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
TwitterFollow
InstagramFollow
YoutubeSubscribe
Popular News
NEWS

16 dead, 110 injured in 3,595 fires in 6 months — Fire Service

Tolon Radio July 8, 2025
Donald Trump doubles-down on ‘enemy from within’ attack on Pelosi, Schiff
Cardi B praises Kamala Harris as she joins GloRilla, MC Lyte, the Isley Brothers and more at Wisconsin rally
Akufo-Addo petitioned to remove Chief Justice Gertrude Torkonoo
Savannah Regional Minister confirms 48,000 displaced, 30 dead in Gbenyiri Clashes

TRENDING

GCB pledges unwavering support to Dagbon, donate cash and food items for Ya-Na Abukari II’s funeral
July 31, 2026
VALCO not for sale as gov’t moves to secure investor for revival
July 30, 2026
NPP Decides: All minority MPs support Kodua- Nalerigu MP claims
July 27, 2026
NDPC briefs Speaker Bagbin on Ghana’s Consolidated Dev’t Plan
July 24, 2026
Justin Kodua seeks Chief Imam’s blessing for re-election bid
July 22, 2026

You Might Also Like

NEWS

Gov’t gets $250K from World Gold Council to support responsible small-scale mining programme

July 21, 2026
NEWS

NPP Decides: Angry candidates threaten legal action over suspension of Yendi elections

July 19, 2026
POLITICSNEWS

NPP Decides: Tolon Constituency elections will come off- Elections Committee

July 10, 2026
NEWS

$350m worth cocaine intercepted at Pedu Junction destroyed

July 7, 2026
NEWSENTERTAINMENT

I can’t be jealous of Fancy Gadam; I was raised well- Double T

July 7, 2026
NEWS

Bombshell: Auditor General uncovers more financial irregularities in MDAs in 2025

July 7, 2026
NEWS

Cedi on Steroids: BoG injects $2.01bn into forex market as cedi records first monthly gain of 2026

July 6, 2026
NEWS

More than 3 persons injured in head-on collision at Nyankpala

July 4, 2026
NEWS

Let’s stop politicizing the floods- PNC National Chairman

July 3, 2026
NEWS

GAF to deploy team to clear major drains, rivers after devastating floods

July 3, 2026
BUSINESSNEWS

UER: PEARL Agenda gets backing from central gov’t

July 1, 2026
BUSINESSNEWS

Bolgatanga: IEAG backs PEARL agenda

June 30, 2026
NEWS

School Feeding boss praises Gorogo resident for kitchen provision

June 30, 2026

Hamza Lansah’s move to Tolon Multimedia creates confusion in N/R NDC

June 29, 2026
NEWS

More trouble in Accra as NADMO announces spillage of Weija Dam

June 29, 2026
Tolon RadioTolon Radio
Follow US
©2024 Tolon Radio. All Rights Reserved.
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?